Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen

Hatchet is so named because that is the only thing a young boy, Brian, has when he is stranded, alone, in the Canadian Wilderness after a plane crash. While he fights to survive in the new environment, so different from the city where he usually lives, Brian changes and learns from the experience.

As an adventure story, I was surprised by the psychological aspect of the book. Hatchet explores man vs. nature as Brian fights for survival but also explores man vs. himself as Brian grows and changes as a result of his experiences. The man vs. himself was the more interesting storyline, to me.

At first, Brian is consumed with memories about his parents divorce and mother's infidelity while waiting impatiently for rescue. However, he is soon faced with devastation when he's attacked by a skunk, and he hits rock bottom. Then, Brian views himself reborn and hones his skills at surviving in the wilderness. His senses become more acute and his priorities are changed. No longer is he concerned about rescue but looks for food first and foremost.

Brian comes to understand that all the animals he encounters are part of nature and realizes that none of them care much for him, they were all just trying to survive. I think he also realized that self-pity was useless and that action was his only hope.

An epilogue is included which briefly chronicles what happens after Brian is rescued. A few details about his changes are included such as his wonder at the choice of food in the supermarket and how he always thought before speaking after the rescue. I think that would be a really interesting story-- how living in the wilderness changed Brian's character. I definitely finished Hatchet feeling that the story was complete but wanted another story to tell me about his life post-rescue.

This was not a book I would normally choose for myself, but I enjoyed stretching my interest limits.

No comments: